Monday, March 18, 2013

The Widow's Peak: A Study

Replace "Forehead" with "Widow's Peak" and that's me!


For those of you who know me, know that the image above is really fitting because I am in love with Zooey- I LOVE her hair and have cut/styled my bangs to be like hers many a time. Well several months ago I decided that I should grow my bangs out because I have NEVER not had bangs. Never! (See the pic to the left- I'm the cheesy one on the right) ..Gotta be bold and crazy while you're still young, right!? =) Silly as it is, this has been a very scary and hard thing to do because of how much I hate my widow's peak and how much I love how beautiful bangs look not to mention how annoying the in between stage is of growing them out!

As I have been more conscious of my widow's peak (since I am always having to make sure I am still covering it up without bangs easily hiding it), I was curoius as to how it got it's name. Wikipedia states that "The term stems from the belief that hair growing to a point- suggestive of the peak of a widow's hood - is an omen of early widowhood." No wonder I don't like my widow's peak! Haha. You can read more about it on Wikipedia. It's very interesting!

So one of the reasons I decided to grow my bangs out was because of the beautiful and classy Kate Middleton. Her hair is always extremely gorgeous and she always looks so put together! (That could be due to fact that she is a princess) haha. Well right after I decided to grow my bangs out, Kate got bangs! This angered me at first, however a couple weeks later tabloids were saying Kate didn't like her bangs and wanted her old hair style back, Phew! 
...What do you like better?


So I have been going back and forth about bangs. Part of me just really loves how they add so much depth and shape and also look super cute with my Warby Parker glasses! But then the other part of me keeps saying that I need to not have bangs for just once in my life! I can always cut them if I miss them!


Thankfully I am currently really enjoying my hair not being on my face. It's refreshing. There is a freedom in not having to worry about bang splittage and every morning hoping they fall right into place which usually never happens, haha. So I am currently thinking of new ways to do my hair so I don't always pin my bangs to the side like Jennifer Garner in the pic below. (It kind of looks like she may have a small widow's peak too!) 


So I started to think to myself: Ya know, there has to be at least a handful of celebrities who also have a widow's peak and I could look at how they style their hair. Well before I researched it, one day I was watching my favorite lunch time tv show, The Chew, and it dawned on me- Daphne Oz has a widow's peak with no bangs and her hair is always beautiful!! There is hope for me! So after that I had to look up other celebrities with widow's peaks and I found plenty! Here are a few- Check them out! 

 




Top Row: Daphne Oz, Blake Lively
Middle Row: Grace Kelly, Cote de Pablo
Bottom Row: Kourtney Kardashian, Marilyn Monroe


Looking at these lovely ladies I see that they embraced their widow's peaks and showed them shamelessly. Maybe someday I will be able to do the same! 

I also found this picture on Pinterest and it blew me away! I would never even think of braiding my hair that way because of my widow's peak but this woman makes it look gorgeous!




In the meantime, I will continue to research and try out new ways to style my hair that will look good with a widow's peak/hide it. Here is an article I found on Hairstyles for a Widow's Peak. I am sure there are plenty more out there too!

I hope this helped with any of you ladies out there who hate their widow's peak as much as I do. Maybe we will learn how to style our hair to hide it without having bangs or maybe we will learn to embrace it for after all it is how God made us =)

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5204589/?claim=tc6abnc9qnm">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

3 comments:

  1. I love that...what's wrong with eat. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Thank you, Rosario! I know- it is beautiful! I just have to convince myself that =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi to everybody, here everyone is sharing such knowledge, so it’s fastidious to see this site, and I used to visit this blog daily

    hairstyle for gown

    ReplyDelete